Whitewater Rafting – New River
Enjoy some of the best whitewater in the country along with breathtaking views in West Virginia’s New River Gorge.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Challenging
Group Size Large Group
Raft with the only licensed Christian rafting outfitter on the New River! With over 35 years of experience, Alpine is committed to safety and quality Christian adventure for your church, youth group, or family and friends.
Exciting whitewater, calm pools, and guided reflection on God’s Word add up to a day full of fun and impact. Between paddling the Class I to Class V rapids, don’t forget to look up at the Appalachian Mountain scenery as you wind your way through “the Grand Canyon of the East.”
Alpine uses 14-foot rafts to ensure a great ride down the river. Alternately, you can choose to raft the Class I-III rapids on the Upper New River in a two-person inflatable kayak (duckie). No previous experience necessary.
A variety of trips are available from mild to wild! Understand the thrill of the rapids by using the Rating Chart. For more extreme whitewater, check out the Gauley River.
- Upper New River: 8 years old
- Upper New River, Duckies: 12 years old
- Lower New River: 13 years old
Late March – October
- Your paddle, PFD (life jacket), and helmet
- A delicious lunch served picnic-style beside the river
- All transportation between Alpine and the river
View full rate sheet
Male – modest trunk-style swim suit or board shorts.
Female – modest swim suit and shorts. The midriff should be covered and no low-cut tops, please.
Water sandals or shoes for water recreation.
T-shirts and sunscreen are highly recommended.
Inexpensive sunglasses with strap. Safety strap for eyeglasses.
Flip-flops/shoes without backs are not acceptable as well as long pants, skirts, or culottes as they may be a safety hazard.
In addition to the warm weather suggestions:
Layer with quick-drying clothes like fleece and polyester. Avoid wearing cotton (e.g., T-shirts or regular socks).
Wet suits and paddling splash jackets are available for rent (provided for free in April and October). Modest shorts must be worn over wet suit.
- All participants should bring any necessary medications with them (e.g., inhalers, required prescriptions, allergy medications, or epi-pen).
- Participants may also want to have insect repellent on trips.
- Guests who wear contact lenses may want to consider wearing glasses on trips or carry a travel size solution kit for activities.